Maintaining Your Diamond
Maintaining your diamond is important in preserving its value and beauty for years to come.
Here are several key tips to avoid when wearing your diamond
- Avoid wearing your diamond jewellery when using harsh detergents, lotions and other cosmetic products. It can cloud your diamond and attract dirt.
- Avoid washing dishes while wearing a diamond ring, as diamonds are prone to attracting greasy substances, which will then attract dirt.
- Avoid wearing your diamond while playing sports, notably swimming. When in the water, your fingers can shrink, so it is a wise idea to keep your ring safe on land.
How to clean your diamonds at home
- (Optional) If your jewellery contains only diamonds, you can soak your jewellery in a warm solution of 1 part ammonia-based cleaner mixed with 4 parts warm water. If you have any other gems, please avoid this step as the ammonia can harm the gem. Never use cleaners that contain bleach, as it can damage jewelry.
- Gently scrub your soaked jewellery with a soft bristle toothbrush. Be careful with the prongs and channels of your ring as the bristles can snag and pull a diamond loose.
- Rinse your jewellery with lukewarm water. REMEMBER, never do this over an open drain. Please plug your drain first.
- Dry with a soft cloth
We recommend getting jewellery professionally cleaned one to two times a year. The jeweller may use several methods, including special solutions, steam or ultrasonic cleaners. Not only will they do a thorough job, but they will get areas that you would not be able to reach at home. Also, they will review and adjust your settings to make sure they have not shifted from wear and tear. This is very important as you never want a setting to become loose.
Separate your jewellery when it is being stored to avoid the stones scratching one another. We recommend investing in a safe to further secure your investment for generations to come.